Monday, December 23, 2013

Book Donation to Vets at Fort Bragg's Fisher House

Two of my author friends, Mary Flinn and Jane Tesh, teamed up with me to spread a little holiday cheer to the vets and their families at Fort Bragg's Fisher House. The Fisher House is a home-away-from-home for the families of vets who are receiving treatments. While there are Fisher Houses all over the country, I chose the one closest to Ft. Bragg because Mary, Jane, and I are North Carolina writers, and our books are all set in North Carolina.

On Saturday, Dec. 21, I delivered a box containing all of our novels to Fisher House representative Becky Kerr. That's her on the left - she's a Gold Star recipient, as is her husband. She volunteers at the Fisher House, which otherwise has a staff of one.

We met in Southern Pines, which was convenient to both of us that day. I was in the area for a family get-together, and she was finishing holiday shopping in nearby Pinehurst. You can read more about it, if you like.

It was a small gesture of thanks to our vets. I wish we could do more for them, but perhaps next year's donation will be bigger.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment